Tuesday 17 July 2012

Constantly improving

The last fortnight has been magnificent in terms of running. First up was the Jane Tomlinson 10k.  Jane Tomlinson was a truly inspirational woman. Diagnosed with breast cancer and given 12 months to live in 2000, Jane defied all the doctors predictions and competed in the London Marathon twice, the New York Marathon, two London Triathlons and cycled over Europe and the USA. She raised a remarkable  £1.85 million for charity. Her "run for all" races in Leeds, York and Hull live on as a testimony to a wonderful woman.

It was certainly the biggest race I have ran in up to now. The day dawned and the sun shone for Jane. In fact it was a beautiful summers day in what has been undoubtedly the wettest summer in years. As I made my way to Millennium Square in Leeds I was looking forward to the run, hoping for a good time.  The groups for the start were banded into "runners', "joggers" and walkers. I was in the middle section.

The start was very crowded, and there was a real jostle for places in the first mile. Elbows were certainly being employed as people fought for a space to run in. This wasn't helped by people who were obviously planning to walk the run starting with the joggers, and trying to manoeuvre around people strolling 5 abreast was not easy. However I managed the first mile in 10 minutes 13 seconds and from there the field certainly thinned out.

The event is certainly well planned. The marshals are along there with the best I have experienced so far, friendly and encouraging and the first 3 miles passed in a very pleasing 31 minutes and 54 seconds. The day was warm and there were water stations every two miles, which was very welcome and I managed to drink on the run without sluicing out my sinuses and then poured some water over my head which helped cooling me down

I definitely felt myself tiring by the end of the race despite the course being flat and the last mile seemed to drag. The finish line was back at the Headrow in Leeds and it seemed like there was always another corner to turn. I heard someone shout "Howay Geordie" as I passed them. Wearing my Tyne Bridge Harriers shirt definitely helped and I crossed the line in a PB of 1 hour 10 minutes and 30 seconds, a cracking 4 minutes faster than my previous 10k time.

With my medal after finishing

There wasn't much of a rest for me, with Tyne Bridge Harriers hosting their first ever "Bridges of the Tyne" run the next Tuesday. A lot of planning has gone into this 5 mile run and I felt honoured to be one of the small group of participants to take part in the inaugeral event. Meeting up with my friends Paul and Karen at the Tyne Bar, we found that the registration point was well manned and got very busy before the start. 

We walked along to the Pitcher and Piano on Newcastle Quayside as a group and it wasn't long before we were on our marks, set, GO! I had agreed to run with my great friend Davina. It's lovely to be able to run with someone who you can have a good natter with and enjoy the time. As the speedy gonzaleses flew away, Davina and I were running at a steady pace and got through the first mile in 10 minutes 57 seconds. Considering my legs, and especially my quads, were still aching from Sunday I was delighted with this. As we were approaching the mile and a half point the front runners were already coming back, and words of encouragement flew between both groups. 

The second mile approached just before a small climb up into the business park before a greasy run, partly on grass then down a few steps before ending up back down at the riverside. We reached the 3 mile point in 34 minutes and 36 seconds and I was feeling strong. The more I ran the easier my legs were feeling. There was plenty of encouragement from members of the public as we ran back towards the Tyne and Millennium Bridges. At this point I started pulling away from Davina, as I was feeling very strong in the final mile. I picked up my pace and as I was nearing the finish line I looked at my Garmin, and saw it had just gone past the 59 minute mark. I told myself that I could get there under the hour and started sprinting. 

So fast I am blurry lol. 

With Karen, Paul and the others gathered at the finish line cheering me on I crossed over the line in 59 minutes 53 seconds. I was absolutely delighted! Two races in two days with great times. I had thoroughly enjoyed both races and hope that Tyne Bridge Harriers will be making this run an annual event. It's now 9 weeks until the Great North Run and these races have definitely been great preparation for the big one. Next up is the Great North 10k and I am hoping for a solid performance in that too. Til next time....keep on keeping on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment